Powerful nose, nice length with a mineral finish.
Fish, seafood, veal sweetbreads, poultry...
In the western part of the Chassagne-Montrachet vineyard is the climate of Morgeot. For a long time, it was assumed that there was a monastery or chapel on the plot, which turned out to be a dependency of the neighbouring Morgeot Abbey founded by the Citersians around 1150, at the same time as the vineyard. The vineyard thus created was the property of the monks of the Abbey of Maizières, who cleared the land and built the buildings necessary for the exploitation. In the 15th century, the village of Chassagne and a large part of the abbey were destroyed by King Louis XI in reprisal for the villagers' allegiance to Mary of Burgundy. The vines were preserved, as well as the chapel and the bread oven.
With a south-western exposure, a very varied clay-limestone soil with marls rich in iron oxide and a limestone subsoil similar to that of the Côte de Nuits. This exceptional terroir produces white and red wines of very high quality, combining power, length and structure.
The Girardin family has been in Burgundy since 1570. Vincent and Jacque's father Jean Girardin divided up his estate in 1982 to each of his four children. Three of the four: Yves, Vincent and Jacques continued the family tradition of farming and winemaking. Jacques took hold of just 3 hectares of vines in Santenay and Savigny-les-Beaune and today the holdings stretch into Pommard and Chassagne-Montrachet totalling 17 hectares that are organically farmed, though not certified. Jacques handed over the domaine to Justin in 2012, leaving the family holdings in great hands.
Justin's philosophy is simple – let nature express itself as much as possible in the vineyard and ultimately the wine, while watching over and respecting the land. So the wine becomes a living product, the fruit of exceptional land and of an age-old expertise, which is renewed and modernized with each generation.