Tascante Contrada Sciaranuova Etna Rosso 2016 -750ml

  • Sale
  • Regular price $49.97
Shipping calculated at checkout.

94pts James Suckling

Such beautiful aromas of plums and dried fruit with spice, pumice, hot stone and dried flowers. Medium body, soft and succulent tannins and a flavorful finish. Shows so much subtle volcanic character and savory fruit. Drink now.

94pts Robert Parker's Wine Advocate - Monica Larner

The 2016 Etna Rosso Contrada Sciaranuova is made with fruit from vines planted in 2008 at 730 meters above sea level. This is a classic expression from Etna with an even dose of wild berry, rose, mineral and spice. This wine shows an attractive level of balance and harmony, and I am especially attracted to those distinctive volcanic or mineral tones that frame this delicate, almost fragile wine. This Etna Rosso is mostly aged in large Slavonian oak casks, but a small part goes into 300-liter tonneaux. This adds a bit more volume and girth to the finish. Production is 5,000 bottles. 

94pts Wine Enthusiast - Kerin O'Keefe

Rose, violet, red berry, Mediterranean scrub and eucalyptus aromas form the nose on this fragrant red. The elegant palate is still young and nervous, offering juicy raspberry, cherry, star anise and orange slice set against vibrant acidity and taut, refined tannins. A tangy mineral note and brown spice linger on the finish. It needs time to calm down a bit, but it will age beautifully. Drink 20232036.

92pts Decanter - Amy Wislocki

Sciaranuova was planted in 2008 on deep, layered soils featuring volcanic sands, basalt and pumice, giving the most structured and age-worthy wines of the three vineyard sites.  The winemaking here is slightly different: 70% of the wine is aged in 25hl Slavonian oak barrels, with the remaining 30% aging in 300-litre French oak barrels. Expect the same minerality, crisp acidity and fragrance, with a generosity of elegant red fruits and spice. This has at least a decade ahead of it. Drinking Window 2019 - 2030.

91pts Vinous - Ian D'Agata

Good full red. Deep musky, ripe red cherry and strawberry aromas are characterized by a mineral undertone. Then also mineral on entry, but turns just slightly tough in the middle and on the long back end that features similar flavors to the aromas. There's good sweetness here, and the stony nuances add further lightness of being to what is essentially a medium-bodied, easygoing red wine.

Winemaker Notes

Mt Etna, Europe's largest active volcano, is situated on the eastern side of Sicily and is home of some of Italy's most dramatic wine landscapes. The Etna DOC is divided into 132 Contrade, or wine districts, that are distinguished by different volcanic soil formations. The Tasca family works in four Contrade all located on the north side of Mt. Etna. Contrada Sciaranuova is located between Montelaguardia and Passopisciaro and is home to 12 acres of vineyards, planted in 2008, and more than 17 acres of chestnut groves. It is marked by its steep grade of 8.5% with volcanic formations with origins between 4,000 and 40,000 years ago. Tenuta Tascante Contrada Sciaranuova is 100% Nerello Mascalese fermented in stainless steel and aged partly in large Slavonian oak cask and part in French oak barrique.